Melon Sakata Sweet
Botanical Name: Melothria scabra
Availability: In stock
These small softball sized round melons from Japan are very sweet with a high sugar content. Oriental varieties open a whole new dimension to melons as they are amazingly different with their crisp, crunchy texture and edible skins. Perfect for fruit salads or eaten like an apple.
How To Grow
Press two seeds in clumps into damp soil, spaced 50cm (20in) between rows and clumps. Seedlings emerge in 7-14 days.
When To Plant
Our Seed Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with these seeds Mr. Fothergill's will gladly replace them for free. Performance subject to growing conditions.
Chilled Melon Sweet Sakata Salad
- 4 Sakata Sweet Melons
- 1-2 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Grass, minced
- 1 tsp. Fresh Ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- 1/2 tsp. Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Mint, fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp. Jalapeno Pepper, minced
- Cut melon in half, scoop out seeds, peel off outer yellow rind and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Place melon pieces in a non-reactive bowl (glass or stainless steel) and add the remaining “dressing” ingredients.
- Toss and allow to marinate in this dressing one to two hours in the refrigerator.
- Serve over lettuce of your choice.