Turnip Japanese Tokyo Cross F1
Availability: Out of stock
This item is currently unavailable online. Shop the available range here.
Also known as the ‘salad turnip’ this vegetable is finding a place at many up and coming restaurants. It’s fine texture and sweet, mild flavour means it is as delicious raw as it is cooked. Can be harvested in as little as 35 days.
How To Grow
Direct where they are to grow in full sun.Sow seed 5mm (1/4in) deep, firm down gently and keep moist. Seedlings appear 7-10 days.Transfer when large enough thin to 10cm (4in) apart, keep moist and weed free.
When To Plant
Our Seed Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with these seeds Mr. Fothergill's will gladly replace them for free. Performance subject to growing conditions.
Japanese Turnip Pickle Momofuku
- 500g turnips, peeled and sliced paper thin
- 2 pieces (5 x 10cm) kombu (seaweed)
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Place the turnips and kombu in a large jar, leaving at least 2cm of room at the top of the jar.
- To make the brine: Combine the vinegar, sugar, water, and salt in a small saucepan, whisk to dissolve the sugar and salt, and bring to a rapid simmer. Immediately pour the brine over the turnips, making sure to cover them completely but leaving 1cm of room at the top of the jar. Let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Cover the jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake the jar to evenly distribute the brine, then place it in the refrigerator for at least 1 day and preferably 1 week before using.