With the world’s bee and beneficial insect populations in serious decline, Mr Fothergill’s is focused on producing products that will help increase these populations to help keep them pollinating our crops far into the future.
Bees and beneficial insects play an essential role as pollinators in our gardens. They transfer pollen from one flower to another, fertilising plants so they start forming fruits and seeds. Bees and other beneficial insects pollinate approximately 70 of the top 100 most popular food crops, and 80% of all flowering plants on Earth!
Unfortunately, bees and other beneficial insects are under increasing threat due to pesticides, parasites, and climate change – but we can help them by using responsible gardening practices, planting flowers to attract them and providing them with shelter.
Our large Bee & Insect Sanctuary Kit contains a wooden sanctuary and a sachet of pollinator friendly flower seeds to help attract bees and other beneficial insects to your garden. The seed mix is made up of the following varieties and covers approximately 2m2:
- Calendula (Calendula officinalis)
- Cornflower (Centaurea cyanus)
- Californian Poppy (Eschscholzia californica)
- Fineflower (Gilia leptantha)
- Toadflax (Linaria maroccana)
- Alyssum (Lobularia maritima)
- Wallflower (Erysimum cheiri)
- Nemophila (Nemophila menziesii)
- Poppy (Papaver rhoeas)
- Marigold African (Tagetes erecta)
- Chinese Forget-Me-Not (Cynoglossum amabile)
- Borage (Borago officinalis)
- Evening Primrose (Oenothera pallida)
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- Native Violet (Viola hederacea)
- Swan River Daisy (Brachycome iberidifolia)
- Sage (Salvia officinalis)
This kit is most suited towards solitary bees and other beneficial insects; it is not a honey hive. The sanctuary is coated in a nontoxic lacquer/oil for protection making it weatherproof and safe for bees and beneficial insects. It is also made of FSC timber, meaning it is responsibly sourced and eco-friendly. The design includes various different areas for the insects to nest and live including bamboo pipes, timber with drilled holes and loose timber pieces behind mesh.
Dimensions: 250mm(w) x 305mm(h) x 90mm(d)