With the world’s bee, insect and butterfly population in serious decline, Mr Fothergill’s is focused on producing products that will help increase the bee population and keep them pollinating our crops far into the future.
As pollinators, bees, butterflies and insects play an essential role in our gardens. They transfer pollen from one flower to another, fertilising plants so they start forming fruits and seeds. 70 of the top 100 most popular food crops are pollinated by bees, and they pollinate 80% of all flowering plants on Earth!
Unfortunately, bees, butterflies and other beneficial insects are under increasing threat due to pesticides, parasites and climate change – but we can help them by using responsible gardening practices, planting flowers to attract them and providing them with shelter.
Our Bee and Insect House contains a wooden insect house and a sachet of pollinator friendly flower seeds to help attract bees and beneficial insects to your garden. The seed mix is made up of the following varieties and covers approximately 2m2:
- Calendula (Calendula officinalis)
- Cornflower (Centaurea cyanus)
- Californian Poppy (Eschscholzia californica)
- Fineflower (Gilia leptantha)
- Toadflax (Linaria maroccana)
- Alyssum (Lobularia maritima)
- Wallflower (Erysimum cheiri)
- Nemophila (Nemophila menziesii)
- Poppy (Papaver rhoeas)
- Marigold African (Tagetes erecta)
- Chinese Forget-Me-Not (Cynoglossum amabile)
- Borage (Borago officinalis)
- Evening Primrose (Oenothera pallida)
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- Native Violet (Viola hederacea)
- Swan River Daisy (Brachycome iberidifolia)
- Sage (Salvia officinalis)
This bee house is suited to pollinator insects and solitary bees. It is not a honey hive.
Dimensions: 180mm(w) x 190mm(h) x 120mm(d)
This bee & insect house is coated in a non toxic paint for protection making it weatherproof and safe for bees and insects. It is also made of FSC timber, meaning it is responsibly sourced and eco-friendly.