Botanical Name: Beta vulgaris
Availability: Out of stock
The wonderfully flavoured roots of these Italian heirloom beets are guaranteed to draw attention with their unmistakable pink and white flesh. The colour is best preserved if beets are steamed or used raw.
How To Grow
Sow 12mm (½in) deep in rows 30cm (12in) apart. Firm gently and keep moist. Thin out to 10cm (4in) apart when large enough to handle. Seedlings emerge in 10-14 days. Harvest: 10-12 weeks from sowing.
When To Plant
Our Seed Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with these seeds Mr. Fothergill's will gladly replace them for free. Performance subject to growing conditions.
Beetroot, Pumpkin and Feta Salad
- 3 beetroot
- 350 g pumpkin, cut into thin wedges
- 2 handfuls rocket
- 2 handfuls spinach (or climbing spinach)
- 1 red onion (or 2 Spring Onion Toga), sliced thinly
- 150 g Bulgarian feta
- Basil leaves, to serve Dressing
- 4 cups pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a large, uncovered saucepan, heat pomegranate juice, sugar, and lemon juice until the sugar has dissolved and the juice simmers. Reduce and simmer for about an hour until it reaches a syrupy consistency, and has reduced to 11/4 cups of liquid. Pour out into a jar and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Wrap the beetroot in foil and bake for 20 minutes, place the pumpkin and onion on a tray lined with baking paper, drizzle lightly with olive oil and cook for another 20 minutes, or until the beetroot is soft and the pumpkin is golden.
- Set aside to cool. Peel and chop the cooled beetroot.
- To make the dressing, whisk the pomegranate molasses with the olive oil until combined.
- Put the rocket in a serving bowl and top with the beetroot, pumpkin and onion. Drizzle with the dressing, crumble the feta over the salad, add basil leaves and serve.