Pumpkin Small Sugar
Availability: In stock
Pumpkins have been cultivated for centuries by Central and North American tribes. This delicious variety is bred for a naturally high sugar content which ensures wonderfully sweet flesh, delicious for pies, soups and roasting. The 1.5-2kg fruits are a practical size to grow and cook.
How To Grow
In a prepared garden bed. Sow seed 15mm (1/2in) deep direct in final position. Sow 3-4 seeds in clumps, later thinning to two strongest seedlings. Seedlings emerge 7-14 days. Allow 100cm (3ft) between rows and 50cm (20in) between clumps. Keep plants well watered.
When To Plant
Our Seed Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with these seeds Mr. Fothergill's will gladly replace them for free. Performance subject to growing conditions.
Pumpkin & Mushroom Risotto
- 1 cup diced pumpkin
- 10 small mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 3 -4 cups hot stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Sauté the onion and garlic in butter and oil in a frypan. Add the rice and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in the pumpkin and mushrooms.
- Once combined add 1 cup of the hot stock and cook at a gentle simmer, stirring frequently until the liquid is almost all absorbed. Add stock one cup at a time until the stock is all absorbed and the rice is tender. This takes about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan cheese and parsley. Season to taste.