Chilli Mezcla Americana
Botanical Name: Capsicum annuum
Availability: In stock
Chilli’ comes from Nuhuatl, a language spoken in Central America, where chillies are a staple cooking ingredient. This blend consists of Anaheim, Hungarian Hot Wax and Cayenne Chillies providing a range of heat levels, colours, shapes and sizes.
How To Grow
In pots or trays of moist compost or seed-raising mix. Sow thinly, 5mm (1/4in) deep and cover with fine soil. Firm gently and keep moist. When 5cm (2in) tall, transplant into 15cm (6in) pots. Grow in a warm sheltered position, keep moist and apply liquid fertiliser regularly. Harvest: 8-10 weeks from sowing.
When To Plant
Our Seed Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with these seeds Mr. Fothergill's will gladly replace them for free. Performance subject to growing conditions.
Sweet Chilli Jam
- 8 red capsicums, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 10 mixed chillies, roughly chopped
- Finger-sized piece fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 400g can peeled tomatoes
- 750g caster sugar
- 250ml red wine vinegar
- Pour the capsicums, chillies, ginger and garlic into a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped.
- Scrape this into a heavy-bottomed pan with the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar, then bring everything to the boil. Skim off any scum that comes to the surface, then turn the heat down and simmer for about 50 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Keep stirring when the jam starts to get sticky, and continue cooking for 10-15 mins more.
- Cool slightly, transfer to sterilised jars and seal the lids, then leave to cool completely.
- Keeps for 3 months in a cool, dark cupboard – refrigerate once opened.