Rhubarb Victoria (Seeds)
Availability: Out of stock
This item is currently unavailable online. Shop the available range here.
Large plants producing generous crops of full flavoured, succulent stems with the perfect balance of sweetness and tartness. A perennial plant that dies back in Winter and needs very little maintenance once established. High in vitamins and minerals and very low in calories.
How To Grow
Sow the seeds 10mm (½in) deep, firm down gently and keep moist. Seedlings emerge in 10-14 days. Seedlings appear 14-21 days.
When To Plant
Our Seed Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with these seeds Mr. Fothergill's will gladly replace them for free. Performance subject to growing conditions.
- 5 cups diced fresh rhubarb (or frozen rhubarb)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water Cobbler Topping
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease and flour an 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the rhubarb and lemon juice. Stir and place in the prepared baking dish.
- Over medium heat, combing the sugar and cornstarch. Slowly mix in the cold water and heat until the mixture boils, about 5 minutes, or until thickened a bit. Pour over the rhubarb in the baking pan.
- For the cobbler topping, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in the shortening and butter with a pastry cutter, two knives or your fingers. Beat egg and milk together and pour into flour mixture and stir with a fork until just combined.
- Drop small chunks of dough on the top of the rhubarb filling with a spoon (or with your hands) until all the dough is evenly distributed. Don't pat the dough down, just leave it rustic looking.
- Sprinkle additional sugar over the top of the cobbler and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.