Onion Rossa Lunga di Firenze
Botanical Name: Beta vulgaris
Availability: Out of stock
This item is currently unavailable online. Shop the available range here.
A famous and much loved variety with highly versatile and attractive, elongated pink bulbs that can be picked young as salad onions or left to mature for a more pungent flavour. An essential ingredient of the popular Italian ‘Spring vegetable risotto’.
How To Grow
Sow in a prepared seed bed or direct into pots or containers in a sunny position.Sow thinly in rows 25cm (10in) apart covering lightly with 5mm (¼in) of fine soil. Firm gently and keep moist. Seedlings appear 14-21 days. Generally no thinning is needed. Keep moist and weed free. For continuity sow every 4-6 weeks.
When To Plant
Our Seed Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with these seeds Mr. Fothergill's will gladly replace them for free. Performance subject to growing conditions.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion or 2-3 small ones (such as Onion Rossa Lunga), chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 2 cups short grain rice
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1 red capsicum, cut into strips
- 1/2 green capsicum, cut into strips
- 1 cup peas
- 6 artichoke hearts – see note
- ½ cup kalmata olives
- 1 lemon plus lemon wedges, to garnish
- Coriander, to garnish
- Note: If you are using fresh artichokes, trim tops of leaves and cut off bottom stem. Cut artichokes in quarters, length-wise. Sprinkle the artichoke hearts with a few drops of lemon juice. If you are using canned artichokes, open and drain the artichokes.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Heat vegetable stock in a separate saucepan until simmering.
- Pour rice into pan and cook for 3 minutes, stirring. Add the capsicums, artichoke hearts and tomatoes and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add hot stock to the pan and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender and the liquid has nearly been absorbed. Stir in the peas and olives.
- Continue cooking until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender. If needed add extra stock.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and coriander.