Climbing Spinach Malabar Greens
Botanical Name: Basella alba ruba
Availability: In stock
Also called Ceylon Spinach, this easy to grow vine native to tropical Asia produces an abundance of dark green leaves during Summer months when regular spinach would turn bitter. It tastes similar to spinach and can be eaten raw or cooked.
How To Grow
Sow in seed trays filled with quality seed raising mix or direct in growing position. Prefers a sunny sheltered position along a fence or a trellis. Sow seeds 10mm (½in) deep. Firm down and keep moist. Germination may take up to 3 weeks but can be hastened by scuffing the seed with sandpaper prior to sowing.
When To Plant
Our Seed Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with these seeds Mr. Fothergill's will gladly replace them for free. Performance subject to growing conditions.
Spinach and Spring Onion Dumplings
- 50g climbing spinach leaves, chopped
- 4 fresh mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp spring onion, chopped. Plus extra to garnish
- 250g pork mince
- 30 gow gee wrappers
- Grape seed oil
- 2 tbs oyster sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 red chilli, seeded, finely sliced
- Panfry the mushrooms in oil for 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add spinach and spring onion. Cook, tossing, for 3 minutes till wilted. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Make the dipping sauce by combining soy sauce, oyster sauce and chilli in a bowl.
- Once the spinach mixture has cooled add the mince, oyster sauce and egg stirring to combine. Then season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon small amount of mince into each gow gee wrapper, brush edge lightly with water then fold and press edges together to seal.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large flat frying-pan over a medium heat. Add the dumplings flat-side down and turn the heat to high. Fry dumplings until the bottoms turn crisp and golden.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and quickly cover with lid. Once water is evaporated, reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes